China aims to reach a carbon peak by 2030 and become carbon neutral by 2060
- General Secretary Xi Jinping stressed that achieving carbon neutrality is a broad and profound systemic economic and social change
Xi Jinping, general secretary of the CPC Central Committee, presided over the ninth meeting of the Financial and Economic Commission of the CPC Central Committee on the afternoon of March 15, 2021, to study the basic ideas and main measures for promoting the healthy development of the platform's economy and realizing carbon peak and carbon neutrality. The meeting stressed that China's efforts to reach a carbon peak by 2030 and achieve carbon neutrality by 2060 are a major strategic decision made after careful consideration by the CPC Central Committee, which bears on the sustainable development of the Chinese nation and the building of a community with a shared future for mankind.
Will unswervingly implement the new development concept, adhere to the system concept, handle the development and emission reduction, global and local, short-term and long-term relationship, with overall green transformation of the economic and social development as the guide, with green low carbon energy development as key to speed up the formation of the industrial structure of the resource conservation and environmental protection, production mode, life style, space pattern, ecological priority, unswervingly take the high quality of the green, low carbon development path.
● We should adhere to the national planning, strengthen top-level design, give full play to the advantages of the system, consolidate the responsibilities of all parties, and implement policies according to the actual conditions of different regions. We should give top priority to conserving energy and resources, implement a comprehensive conservation strategy, and advocate a simple, moderate, green and low-carbon lifestyle.
● The government and the market should exert both efforts, strengthen scientific, technological and institutional innovation, deepen reform in energy and related fields, and form an effective incentive and restraint mechanism.
● To strengthen international exchanges and cooperation, effectively coordinate domestic and international energy resources.
● We should strengthen risk identification and control, and properly deal with the relationship between pollution reduction and carbon reduction, energy security, industrial chain and supply chain security, food security and people's normal life.
The meeting pointed out that the 14 th is the key period of carbon peak, window period, to focus on the following several work.
● We will build a clean, low-carbon, safe and efficient energy system, control the total amount of fossil energy, strive to improve the efficiency of utilization, implement the action of replacing renewable energy, deepen the reform of the power system, and build a new type of power system with new energy as the main body.
● To implement pollution reduction and carbon reduction action in key industries and areas, promote green manufacturing in the industrial field, improve energy conservation standards in the building field, and accelerate the formation of green and low-carbon transportation in the transportation field.
● We should promote major breakthroughs in green and low-carbon technologies, accelerate the deployment of cutting-edge low-carbon technology research, accelerate the application of pollution reduction and carbon reduction technologies, and establish and improve the evaluation and trading system of green and low-carbon technologies and the service platform for scientific and technological innovation.
● To improve the green and low-carbon policies and market system, improve the "dual control" system of energy, improve the fiscal and tax, price, finance, land, government procurement and other policies conducive to green and low-carbon development, accelerate the promotion of carbon emission trading, and actively develop green finance.
● We should advocate green and low-carbon life, oppose extravagance and waste, encourage green travel, and create a new fashion of green and low-carbon life.
● To enhance the ability of ecological carbon sink, strengthen territorial spatial planning and use control, effectively play the role of forest, grassland, wetland, ocean, soil, permafrost carbon sequestration, increase the increment of ecosystem carbon sink.
● We need to strengthen international cooperation on climate change, promote the formulation of international rules and standards, and build a green Silk Road.
It is a tough battle to reach a carbon peak and be carbon neutral, and it is also a big test of the Party's governance ability. We will strengthen the centralized, unified leadership of the CPC Central Committee and improve the oversight and assessment mechanism. Party committees and governments at all levels must shoulder their responsibilities and ensure that there are targets, measures and inspections in place. Leading cadres should strengthen the study of carbon emission related knowledge, enhance the ability to pay attention to green and low-carbon development. (For reprint, please indicate Jiandao website www.seetao.com) Jiandao website video column editor/Linping Gan